Just looking at this salad makes me feel healthier. Every single ingredient is a Real Food loaded with nutrition. This salad is so tasty I could eat a whole bowl full and feel great about it and it’s beautiful too.
Between the cool cucumber, tomato and parsley, and the zesty lemon and the spicy oregano, there are a enough health benefits to revitalize you for hours and the veggies taste great doing it.
THE REFRESHING REAL FOOD INGREDIENTS
Begin by cutting an English cucumber into bite sized pieces and add them to a medium bowl. Then slice some pitted black olives lengthwise and add them to the bowl.
Notes: English cucumbers are my first choice because they taste less bitter and their skin is thinner than other varieties. They usually come wrapped in plastic and are unwaxed, so I don’t bother trying to buy organic. In general, if a fruit or vegetable’s skin is thin and vulnerable to chemicals, I try to get the organic version. Otherwise, I don’t feel it is necessary. Be selective in spending the extra money for organic.
I like to use Whole Foods 365 pitted black olive because of the ingredient list. Most black olives contain an ingredient called ferrous gluconate, so in my quest to eliminate any unnecessary ingredients I choose the product with only olives, water and salt.
Dice a medium tomato and add it to the bowl and sprinkle the salad with dried Oregano. Oregano is good for you and adds great flavor. Chop some curly parsley into small pieces and add it to the bowl and sprinkle the salad with sea salt and pepper. In the past, parsley was used for garnish, but it is a nutritious ingredient and is a nice compliment to the cucumber and tomato.
Squeeze a tablespoon of lemon juice from a fresh lemon and pour it over the salad, along with some extra virgin olive oil. Then mix all the ingredients together with a large spoon and chill for at least 15 minutes and enjoy.
I served this tangy, thirst-quenching vegetable dish with Organic Wild Chanterelle Mushroom Ravioli. A perfect vegetarian Real Food lunch or light dinner.
THE SAYING “COOL AS A CUCUMBER” IS SO APPROPRIATE.
This vegetable is mostly water, so it is very hydrating and good for your hair and skin, in addition to all its valuable nutrients.
Revitalizing Cucumber and Tomato Salad
Prep Time: 15 Minutes Cook Time: No Cooking Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 Large English Cucumber
- 1 Medium Sized Tomato (Use Organic Tomatoes When You Can)
- 1/4 Cup Pitted Black Olives (365 Brand is Ferrous Gluconate Free)
- 1/4 Cup Curly Parsley (Use Organic or Home Grown)
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice, Fresh Squeezed (Organic is Not Necessary, The Peel is Not Used in This Recipe)
- 3 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Sprinkle of Dried Oregano
- Sprinkle of Sea Salt
- Sprinkle of Black Pepper
- Cut the cucumber into bite sized pieces and add to a medium bowl.
- Slice olives lengthwise and add to the bowl.
- Dice the tomato and add to the bowl.
- Sprinkle the salad with dried oregano.
- Chop the curly parsley into small pieces and add to the bowl.
- Sprinkle the salad with sea salt and pepper.
- Squeeze 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and pour it over the salad.
- Pour 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil over the salad.
- Mix all the ingredients together with a large spoon.
- Chill for at least 15 minutes and serve.