I’ve heard a lot about the “Overnight Oatmeal” craze and wondered what the big deal was. Since oatmeal is one of my favorite foods and so healthy for you, I thought I should at least try the refrigerator version and boy was I surprised.
It is so creamy and satisfying and surprisingly great cold. And it’s a quick and easy, good for you, Real Food Meal, so give it a try. I look forward to trying it again with other fruits and nuts.
THE HEART HEALTHY REAL FOOD INGREDIENTS
First add the oatmeal and milk to a mug or a bowl. Then add the coconut milk and almond extract and stir everything together. Spoon the yogurt evenly over the oat mixture and place the orange segments over the yogurt. Sprinkle the sliced almonds over the orange segments. Drop the chocolate chips on top of everything. It actually looks very pretty if you use a glass mug.
Then cover the mug or bowl and place it in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight. When you remove it from the fridge, stir all the ingredients together. If you have time, sit down and enjoy, otherwise if it’s in a mug, it’s very mobile.
Great for a fuss free breakfast or for a quick meal on the run or for a snack anytime. If the mug has a lid, grab it out of the fridge, grab a spoon and go!!
DO YOUR HEART A FAVOR AND EAT SOME OATMEAL!
Oatmeal is a great food to add to your healthy lifestyle. It can be eaten alone or added to cookies, muffins or cakes. Be sure and use only whole grain oats, not the varieties that have added sugar and unnecessary additives.
For easy stress-free shopping, find some of the non-perishable ingredients for this recipe, including the Organic Old Fashioned Rolled Oats, in our Vitacost.com Healthy Living Shop or some of my “Featured Kitchen Favorites” in our Walmart.com Shop or try our Personal Care & Tea Shop. They contain links to online stores where I like to shop.
Mandarin Orange with Dark Chocolate Refrigerator Oatmeal
Prep Time: 15 Minutes Cook Time: No Cooking Yield: 1 Serving
- 1/2 Cup Rolled Oats (I use Bob’s Red Mill Organic Old Fashioned Rolled Oats)
- 1/2 Cup Milk (Use the Milk You Prefer, Full Fat, Fat-Free, Almond Milk, Anything)
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Milk (Optional, It Adds Creaminess – The Kind From the Can, Not the Box)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pure Almond Extract
- 4 Tablespoons Yogurt (I used siggi’s Orange & Ginger Because It is Lower in Sugar than Most, But Use Whatever You Have on Hand)
- 1/2 Cup Mandarin Orange Segments (Fresh or Canned, Your Choice – If You Use Canned, Watch the Added Sugar and Look for the BPA Free Can)
- 2 Tablespoons Sliced Raw Almonds
- 1 Tablespoon Dark Chocolate Chips (Watch for Unnecessary Additives)
- Add the oatmeal and milk to a mug or a bowl.
- Then add the coconut milk and almond extract and stir everything together.
- Spoon the yogurt evenly over the oat mixture.
- Place the orange segments over the yogurt.
- Sprinkle the sliced almonds over the orange segments.
- Drop the chocolate chips on top of everything.
- Cover the mug or bowl and place it in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the fridge and stir all the ingredients together and enjoy.