The lime in this salad is essential to bringing out the flavors of all the other ingredients and is especially the perfect complement to the tangy red peppers. And it provides a crisp freshness that allows the salad to be enjoyed for several days.
The black beans are a great source of protein, making this a well-rounded side dish or it would be the perfect light main course meal along with a serving of no-salt-added organic blue corn chips. My whole family fell in love with this tasty accompaniment to the Party Nachos With Black Beans and Corn Salad I served recently.
THE ZESTY REAL FOOD INGREDIENTS
Begin by draining the liquid from a can of black beans and rinsing them. Add corn kernels to a bowl. Roasted fresh corn would be fantastic, when it’s in season, otherwise use frozen or even drained canned corn.
Dice 2 stalks of celery, chop the leaves and add to the bowl. Remove the seeds, then dice a sweet red pepper and add it to the bowl.
Once drained and rinsed, add the black beans to the bowl. Then add a bit of avocado oil or olive oil, cumin, salt and pepper, and the juice of a squeezed lime. Stir to combine all the ingredients and then refrigerate until you’re ready to serve the salad.
Note: My new favorite oil is Avocado Oil. It has a light flavor and color and is healthy.
Red Bell Peppers are colorful and crunchy when eaten raw and are rich in antioxidant and anti-inflammatory nutrients.
For easy stress-free shopping, find some of my favorite non-perishable recipe ingredients, including 100% Pure Avocado Oil, in our Vitacost.com Healthy Living Shop or some of my “Featured Kitchen Favorites” in our Walmart.com Shop or try our Personal Care & Tea Shop. They contain links to online stores where I like to shop.
Zesty Black Beans and Corn Salad with Red Peppers
Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: No Cooking Yield: 6 Servings
- 1 Can of Black Beans (I use Eden Organic No Salt Added in a PBA Free Can)
- 1 1/2 Cups Corn Kernels (Frozen, Check for Any Unwanted Additives or Fresh if in Season)
- 2 Stalks of Celery, Diced (Including the Leaves)
- 1/2 a Red Bell Pepper (When Eating Raw Veggies, Go Organic)
- 3 Tablespoons Avocado Oil (Can Substitute Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Hot Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Lime Juice, Fresh
- Sea Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Drain the liquid from the can of black beans and rinse them.
- Drain corn if it is canned, otherwise add the frozen corn to a bowl (roasted fresh corn would be fantastic when it is in season).
- Dice the celery, chop the leaves and add to the bowl.
- Remove the seeds, then dice the red pepper and add it to the bowl.
- Once drained and rinsed, add the black beans to the bowl.
- Add the oil, the cumin and the salt and pepper.
- Add the juice of the squeezed lime.
- Stir to combine all the ingredients and refrigerate until ready to serve.