I’m a newcomer to the “Overnight Oatmeal” or “Oatmeal in a Jar” breakfast club, but am definitely a real fan. I created this dairy-free version specifically for my Mom because she is sensitive to dairy products. She says it tasted great too! And I feel good about serving her this nutrient rich Real Food Meal of blueberries and walnuts along with the oatmeal.
I’m also a newcomer to “Quick Cooking Oats.” I always thought quick cooking oats were the instant kind in the little pouch, with lots of sugar and other ingredients. But I recently discovered they are just already chopped regular rolled oats, making them quicker and easier to use.
So handy they will be a permanent addition to my pantry. I used Bob’s Red Mill Organic Quick Cooking Rolled Oats.
These are so creamy and satisfying and surprisingly great cold, so give them a try.
THE HEART HEALTHY REAL FOOD INGREDIENTS
First add the oatmeal and almond milk to a mug or a bowl. Then add the cinnamon and stir everything together. Next spoon the blueberries evenly over the oat mixture. It couldn’t be more simple.
Last cover the mug or bowl and place it in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight. When you remove it from the fridge, drizzle a little honey over the top and stir all the ingredients together. Then drop the raw walnuts on top.
If you have time, sit down and enjoy, otherwise if it’s in a mug, it’s very mobile.
Great for a fuss free breakfast or for a quick meal on the run or for a snack anytime. If the mug has a lid, grab it out of the fridge, grab a spoon and go!!
DO YOUR HEART A FAVOR AND EAT SOME OATMEAL!
Oatmeal is a great food to add to your healthy lifestyle. It can be eaten alone or added to cookies, muffins or cakes. Be sure and use only whole grain oats, not the varieties that have added sugar and unnecessary additives.
Dairy-Free Blueberry and Honey Refrigerator Oatmeal
Prep Time: 15 Minutes Cook Time: No Cooking Yield: 1 Serving
- 1/2 Cup Rolled Oats (I used Bob’s Red Mill Organic Quick Cooking Rolled Oats)
- 1/2 Cup Vanilla Almond Milk (Check the Ingredient List and Try to Avoid Carrageenan)
- 1/8 Teaspoon Cinnamon (I used Ceylon Cinnamon This Time)
- 1/2 Cup Blueberries (Fresh or Frozen, Blueberries Need to be Organic if at All Possible)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Honey (Good Quality Local Honey Is Best)
- 2 Tablespoons Raw Walnuts
- Add the oatmeal and almond milk to a mug or a bowl.
- Add the cinnamon and stir everything together.
- Spoon the blueberries over the mixture.
- Cover the mug or bowl and place it in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove from the fridge and drizzle a little honey on top.
- Stir all the ingredients together and then drop the walnuts on top and enjoy.