Trail mix can be a yummy healthy snack if the ingredients are selected carefully. My simple crunchy summer season cinnamon recipe is 1 part Seeds, 1 part Nuts, 1 part Grains, 1 part Dried Fruit and 1 part something Sweet, but not too sweet. Watch the amount of sugar in the sweet ingredient!
This tasty travel ready snack is light and a great companion for a long summer walk or a summer hike. The boost of energy from the grains and dried fruit along with the protein and fats from the nuts and seeds will keep you going for hours. Then the cinnamon ties everything together perfectly with its fragrant spiciness and its many health benefits.
I recently bought a bag of trail mix at Trader Joe’s when I wanted to make my trail mix cookie recipe. I was surprised at how expensive it had gotten and realized I already had a lot of ingredients on hand that could be used to make my own trail mix.
Everything in this recipe was in my pantry and freezer and actually my homemade version has less salt, sugar and fat than the store-bought bag. And it tastes fantastic!
THE HEALTHY REAL FOOD INGREDIENTS!
Making the trail mix is simple. Just add the raw sunflower seeds, the chopped dried plums, the roasted unsalted peanuts, the whole wheat waffle cereal, the dark chocolate chips and the cinnamon to a bowl and mix. Making sure the cinnamon is evenly distributed.
Then store the mixture in glass containers. I divided the aromatic concoction between two small jars and one medium-sized jar. The small jars are perfect for carrying with you on the run. I like to keep them in the fridge or freezer to keep the mix fresh until I’m ready to grab one and go.
Cinnamon has a long history both as a spice and as a medicine. It has anti-inflammatory properties as well as anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and even antiviral properties.
Light Summer Season Cinnamon Trail Mix
Prep Time: 15 Minutes Cook Time: No Cook Time Yield: 8 Servings
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Waffle Cereal (I Used 365 Organic Wheat Waffles Cereal, Similar to Wheat Chex)
- 1/2 Cup Raw Unsalted Peanuts
- 1/3 Cup Dried Plums, Diced (Be Sure The Plums Are Sorbate Free, Ingredients Should Be Dried Plums Only)
- 1/4 Cup Raw Sunflower Seeds (No Salt Added)
- 1/3 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips (Watch the Added Sugar and Unwanted Ingredients)
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon (Choose Good Quality Cinnamon with a Wonderful Fragrance)
- Add the raw sunflower seeds, chopped dried plums, roasted unsalted peanuts, whole wheat waffle cereal, dark chocolate chips and the cinnamon to a bowl and mix.
- Make sure the cinnamon is evenly distributed.
- Store the mixture in glass containers.
- I divided the aromatic concoction between two small jars and one medium-sized jar.
- The small jars are perfect for carrying with you on the go.
- Store the jars in the refrigerator or freezer to keep the mix fresh until you are ready to enjoy.