I love this crunchy cabbage salad and could eat it almost every day. The health benefits are fantastic and combined with the almonds and celery, along with the tangy dressing it’s the perfect side dish to accompany a nice grilled piece of chicken, wild Alaskan cod or whatever you’re serving as your main course.
You could even double the serving size and toss in a little shredded chicken to turn it into a wonderfully healthy and refreshing lunch salad.
THE CRUNCHY REAL FOOD INGREDIENTS!
Begin by preparing the fresh vegetables. Using either a sharp chef’s knife or a mandolin slicer, thinly slice the cabbage until four cups are accumulated. I just found a new mandolin and that kitchen gadget definitely makes the slicing easy. Then, add the cabbage to a medium bowl.
Next, thinly slice one large stalk of celery, should be about a half a cup, and add that to the bowl. Then, finely chop some curly-leaf parsley, about a quarter cup, and add to the bowl. After that, mix the veggies together.
To make the dressing, add some salad oil, rice vinegar and sea salt to a separate small bowl and whisk until blended. I like to refrigerate all the ingredients for a few minutes or until ready to serve, then pour the dressing over the salad and toss.
Just before serving, toast some sesame seeds in a small sauté pan for a couple of minutes. While waiting for the seeds to toast add the raw sliced almonds to the tossed salad and lightly mix.
Once the salad is served on a plate, sprinkle a few of the sesame seeds over each portion and Enjoy. Asparagus is the perfect accompaniment for this Real Food Meal, along with some wild Alaskan cod, topped with a little homemade tartar sauce.
Eating the cruciferous vegetable, cabbage, provides a bounty of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory nutrients and other health benefits.
For easy stress-free shopping, find some of my favorite non-perishable recipe ingredients in our Vitacost.com Healthy Living Shop or some of my “Featured Kitchen Favorites” in our Walmart.com Shop or try our Personal Care & Tea Shop. They contain links to online stores where I like to shop.
Crunchy Cabbage Salad with Sliced Almonds
Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: No Cooking Yield: 4 Servings
- 4 Cups Green Cabbage, Thinly Sliced (Organic If Possible, About 1/2 Medium-Sized Head)
- 1/2 Cup Celery, Thinly Sliced (Organic If Possible, About 1 Large Stalk)
- 1/4 Cup Curly-Leaf Parsley, Chopped (I Use Parsley From My Home Herb Garden)
- 3 Tablespoons Salad Oil (I Used Avocado Oil, It’s Light and Mild Flavored)
- 1 Tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 1/8 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 Cup Sliced Almonds, Raw
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame Seeds, Toasted (I Buy Raw and Toast Them)
- Using either a sharp chef’s knife or a mandolin slicer, thinly slice the cabbage until four cups are accumulated.
- Add to a medium bowl.
- Thinly slice one large stalk of celery, should be about a half a cup.
- Add to the bowl.
- Finely chop the curly-leaf parsley, about a quarter cup, and add to the bowl.
- Mix the veggies together.
- Add the salad oil, rice vinegar and sea salt to a separate small bowl and whisk until blended.
- Refrigerate all the ingredients for a few minutes or until ready to serve.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss.
- Just before serving, toast the sesame seeds in a small sauté pan for a couple of minutes.
- While waiting for the seeds to toast add the raw sliced almonds to the tossed salad and lightly mix.
- Once the salad is served, sprinkle a few toasted sesame seeds over each portion and Enjoy.
- Asparagus and wild Alaskan cod are the perfect accompaniment to complete this Real Food Meal.