Lately, I’ve been searching for additional ways to get more fruits and vegetables into my diet. I’m not fond of raw kale, chard or collards in a blended drink, so I began looking for other options to use for a healthy smoothie.
I was excited to find out that romaine lettuce has a ton of nutrients and its mild flavor is much more acceptable to my palate. All you taste is the sweetness of whatever fruit you combine it with.
Romaine lettuce is not just for salads anymore. It is highly nutritious and the perfect leafy green to add to your morning or afternoon smoothie.
THE WHOLESOME REAL FOOD INGREDIENTS!
Smoothies are a wonderful addition to your weekly menu plan as long as the ingredients are simple and clean and real foods. No added processed sugar or unwanted toxic artificial additives.
The thick rich beverage is an easy way to get a bounty of vitamins and minerals from an assortment of fruits and vegetables that are packed with disease-fighting antioxidants. Along with the Greek yogurt that provides beneficial probiotics and protein.
Using a powerful blender, first, add about six ounces of spring water to the blender pitcher. More can be added if needed as you begin blending. Second, add the romaine lettuce chopped into medium-sized pieces. Third, add the yogurt, a sliced banana, a chopped unpeeled Fuji apple (there are nutrients in the peel) and some honey, cinnamon and lemon juice.
Last, blend everything together until smooth, pour into two mugs or tall glasses and serve with a straw. Using a straw is a little fun and it can help keep the colorful fruits and veggies from staining your teeth.
This recipe will make two servings, so you can share all the goodness with someone or save another serving for yourself. Keep the smoothie nice and cold in a sealed glass container in the refrigerator for no more than a day. The nutrients begin to break down once the fruits and veggies are chopped.
If you are in a hurry and on the go, pour your smoothie into a glass mug with a lid and be on your way with a yummy good for you snack.
Romaine lettuce is rich in vitamins, especially the all-important B vitamins, and minerals, and even has a surprising amount of protein.
Nutritious Romaine Smoothie with Sweet Fuji Apple
Prep Time: 10 Minutes Cook Time: No Cooking Yield: 2 Servings
- 1 Head Organic Romaine Lettuce (Washed and Cleaned)
- 6 Ounces Spring Water
- 1 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt (Check for Probiotic Cultures and No Unwanted Additives)
- 1 Banana, Sliced
- 1 1/2 Cups Organic Fuji Apple (1 Whole Large Apple Chopped into Pieces)
- 1 Teaspoon Honey (Get the Best Quality Honey Possible)
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Juice (Squeezed from a Fresh Lemon)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- Use a powerful blender, capable of blending firm or frozen fruits and vegetables.
- Pour spring water into the bottom of the blender pitcher.
- Chop the romaine lettuce into medium-sized pieces and add to the blender.
- Chop the unpeeled apple into chunks so it can blend easily.
- Slice the banana.
- Add the yogurt, sliced banana, chopped apple, local honey, cinnamon and lemon juice to the blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into two mugs or tall glasses and serve with a straw.
DIANNA’S EASY REAL FOOD RECIPES – easyrealfoodrecipes.com