If you like your cookies a little on the cakey side, these are the cookies for you. I love all kinds of cookies, cakey, crispy or chewy, as long as they’re not too sweet. That’s exactly why I like to make my own. If I bake them myself, I can control the sugar and the butter for that matter. I think these are healthy enough to eat for breakfast!
These cookies are a classic combination of peanuts and chocolate. They are full of chopped raw peanuts, along with smooth creamy peanut butter and of course, little drops of dark chocolate. Yum! While the whole wheat flour and the oatmeal, and less butter and sugar help make this Easy Real Food Recipe healthier.
THE PEANUTTY REAL FOOD INGREDIENTS
First whisk the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Some whole wheat flour, organic quick cooking oatmeal, Rapadura sugar, sea salt, baking powder and baking soda.
NOTE: Quick cooking oats are rolled oats that have been coarsely chopped. You can either purchase them already chopped or make them yourself by slightly pulsing regular old-fashioned oats in a food processor or blender. Make them organic to avoid possible pesticides.
Next, in a batter bowl or regular bowl, combine the wet ingredients. Some butter, coconut oil, an egg, creamy organic peanut butter, vanilla and some unsweetened applesauce. Mix with a hand mixer or a stand mixer until the ingredients are creamy.
Chop the raw peanuts into small pieces, so you can get some crunchy peanut in every bite. Now mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, adding about a third at a time just until combined. Then fold the chopped peanuts and the chocolate chips into the mixture.
Using a cookie scoop, scoop twenty cookies onto a cookie sheet, then flatten them a little with your dampened fingers. Bake the cookies for 12 minutes at 350 degrees and then let them cool on the cookie sheet.
ENJOY WITH A COLD GLASS OF MILK!
Peanuts are good for your heart and a great source of antioxidants, so enjoy some peanut butter cookies often. Did you know that peanuts are actually a legume, not a nut?
Cakey Peanut Butter and Dark Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 12 Minutes Yield: 20 Servings
- 1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour (100% Whole Grain)
- 1 Cup Quick Cooking Oatmeal (Organic Quick Cooking, Not Instant)
- 1/2 Cup Rapadura Sugar (Organic Unbleached and Unrefined)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/4 Cup Unsalted Butter, Room Temperature
- 1/4 Cup Virgin Coconut Oil, Room Temperature
- 1 Large Egg, Room Temperature
- 2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla
- 1/2 Cup Creamy Peanut Butter (Organic, Unsweetened and Unsalted, Peanuts Only, No Pesticides in Organic)
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Applesauce (Just Apples in the Ingredient List)
- 1/2 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips (Check for Unwanted Ingredients)
- 1/2 Cup Raw Peanuts (Peanuts Only, No Unwanted Additives)
- Heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Get a large cookie sheet ready, which for me means getting it out of the cupboard. I prefer cooking directly on my non-stick cookie sheet.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a bowl. Add the whole wheat flour, quick cooking oatmeal, Rapadura sugar, sea salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a batter bowl or regular bowl, combine the wet ingredients. Add the butter, coconut oil and egg first and mix. Then add the peanut butter and vanilla and mix. Last add the applesauce. Mix with a hand mixer or a stand mixer until the ingredients are combined and creamy.
- Chop the raw peanuts into small pieces, so you can get some crunchy peanut in every bite.
- Now mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, adding about a third at a time just until combined.
- Then fold the chopped peanuts and the chocolate chips into the mixture.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop twenty cookies onto the cookie sheet and flatten them down with your fingers a little.
- Bake the cookies for 12 minutes and then let them cool on the cookie sheet.
DIANNA’S EASY REAL FOOD RECIPES – easyrealfoodrecipes.com