Tomorrow is an early busy day for my husband and I and what comes to my mind for an easy breakfast is a quick hearty bowl of “Refrigerator Oatmeal” prepared the night before.
I feel good about serving this nutrient rich real food breakfast made with Fuji apples, dried cranberries, raw walnuts and pumpkin pie spice along with the oatmeal.
This overnight oatmeal is so flavorful and satisfying and good cold, but since it’s a bit chilly here where I live, I pop it in the micro-wave for just one minute. The aroma of the pumpkin pie spice, the crunchiness of the apple and the chewiness of the cranberries makes you want to savor every bite.
THE HEART HEALTHY REAL FOOD INGREDIENTS
First cut about a half of a medium apple into a small dice, leaving the peel on so you get all those nutrients. I used a Fuji apple, but choose your favorite. Then chop some dried cranberries and raw walnuts into bite-sized pieces.
After that, add some rolled oats and milk to a mug or a bowl. Next, add a little pumpkin pie spice and stir everything together. If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice on hand, just use cinnamon. Then, spoon the diced apple and chopped cranberries over the mixture. Cover the mug or bowl and place it in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight.
In the morning, remove the container from the fridge and stir everything together. You can add a little extra milk depending on the consistency you like. Then drizzle some honey over the top and stir again. Finally, top with the walnuts and enjoy either cold or slightly warmed. It couldn’t be more simple.
Great for a fuss free breakfast or for a quick snack anytime. This recipe is for one serving, so just multiply it by the number of people you need to serve and you’re all set.
DO YOUR HEART A FAVOR AND EAT SOME OATMEAL!
Oatmeal is a great food to add to your healthy lifestyle. It provides carbohydrates, protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals, as well as antioxidants and other important nutrients. It can be eaten alone or with fruit or added to cookies, muffins and cakes.
For easy stress-free shopping, find some of the non-perishable ingredients for this recipe, including the Organic Quick Cooking Rolled Oats, in our Vitacost.com Healthy Living Shop or some of my “Featured Kitchen Favorites” in our Walmart.com Shop or try our Personal Care & Tea Shop. They contain links to online stores where I like to shop.
Apple, Cranberry and Walnuts Refrigerator Oatmeal
Prep Time: 10 Minutes Cook Time: No Cooking Yield: 1 Serving
- 1/2 Cup Rolled Oats (I use Bob’s Red Mill Organic Quick Cooking Rolled Oats)
- 2/3 Cup Milk (Use Whole, 2% or Fat Free Milk or the Non-Dairy Beverage of Your Choice)
- 1/8 Teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice (Use Cinnamon If You Don’t Have Pumpkin Pie Spice)
- 1/2 Cup Fuji Apple, Diced (Half A Medium Apple, Leave the Peel on to Get All the Nutrients)
- 2 Tablespoons Dried Cranberries, Chopped (Watch for the Amount of Added Sugar)
- 1 Tablespoon Honey (Good Quality Local Honey Is Best)
- 2 Tablespoons Raw Walnuts, Chopped
- Cut about a half of a medium apple into a small dice, leaving the peel on so you get all those nutrients. I used a Fuji apple, but choose your favorite.
- Chop the dried cranberries and walnuts into bit-sized pieces.
- Add the rolled oats and milk to a mug or a bowl.
- Add the pumpkin pie spice and stir everything together. Use cinnamon if you don’t have pumpkin pie spice on hand.
- Spoon the diced apple over the mixture.
- Cover the mug or bowl and place it in the refrigerator for a minimum of 4 hours or overnight.
- In the morning, remove the bowl from the fridge and stir everything together. You can add extra milk depending on the consistency you like.
- Then drizzle the honey over the top.
- Stir again and then top with the walnuts and enjoy either cold or slightly warmed in the micro-wave for just one minute.
- This recipe is one serving, so just multiply it by the number of people you need to serve.