Everyone knows broccoli is healthy, right? But, when it’s used to make a tasty broccoli slaw salad with Greek yogurt, fresh lemon and ground ginger as the base for a dressing, it’s amazingly healthy! Using mostly Greek yogurt instead of all mayonnaise adds protein and probiotics.
All you need to do is add some rotisserie chicken for good quality protein and some whole grain bread to the Easy Real Food Recipe and you’ve got the balance in a meal I always look for. I have autoimmune issues and over the years I’ve learned that a combination of protein and whole grains, along with fresh fruits and vegetables, is required to keep me steady.
THE EASY HEALTHY REAL FOOD INGREDIENTS
Begin by adding Greek yogurt, a little mayonnaise, fresh squeezed lemon juice, ground ginger, sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to a medium-sized bowl and whisk until smooth. Find my “Featured Kitchen Favorites” utensils and tools in our Walmart.com Shop.
Then, to make the broccoli slaw a little easier to eat, with a chef’s knife, chop the shreds into smaller bite-sized pieces.
I don’t mind accepting a little help from the market to make my meals a little easier either. As with most of us these days my schedule is busier than I would like, so I found a great pre-cut broccoli slaw mix with organic shredded broccoli stems and organic shredded carrots to give me a head start on the meal. And it was under $2.
Now add the broccoli slaw mix to the bowl with the dressing and stir together completely. Then let the mixture rest for about 10 minutes so the broccoli can absorb the dressing.
Next, divide the slaw into four servings and place on plates. After that, divide the shredded chicken into fourths and top each plate of slaw with some chicken. Then top with organic fresh ground black pepper. Find some of the non-perishable ingredients for this recipe in our Vitacost.com Healthy Living Shop.
Serve with a slice of whole grain bread. The small whole grain loaf I chose, with cranberries and walnuts, is perfect for this salad. It’s a little on the sweet side and compliments the Meyer lemon I happen to have on hand in my refrigerator.
My little secret is, I discovered the cranberry and walnut loaf on the day-old bread rack at my local grocery store for a quarter of its regular price. I just love a bargain, since the artisan “healthier” breads can be very expensive most of the time.
Broccoli is good for your cholesterol and good for detoxification. It’s good for heart health and digestion and has anti-inflammatory benefits. It is high in fiber, high in vitamin C and has potassium, B6 and vitamin A. Broccoli is also packed with phytochemicals and antioxidants.
For easy stress-free shopping, find some of my favorite non-perishable recipe ingredients in our Vitacost.com Healthy Living Shop or some of my “Featured Kitchen Favorites” in our Walmart.com Shop or try our Personal Care & Tea Shop. They contain links to online stores where I like to shop.
Easy Broccoli Slaw Salad with Shredded Chicken
Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: No Cooking Yield: 4 Servings
- 1/2 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt (Made With Milk and Live Active Cultures Only, Check for Unwanted Additives)
- 2 Tablespoons Mayonnaise (I Used JUST Mayo Egg-Free Mayonnaise This Time)
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice (I Used a Meyer Lemon I Had on Hand)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon Black Pepper, Fresh Ground
- 12 ounces Broccoli Slaw (I Used a Pre-Cut Mix of Organic Shredded Broccoli Stems and Organic Shredded Carrots or If Time Allows, You Can Prepare Your Own)
- 8 ounces Shredded Chicken (I Used Rotisserie Chicken, An Easy Cost-Effective Time-saver)
- 4 Slices Whole Grain Bread (Choose Your Favorite Good Quality Artisan Whole or Multi Grain Loaf)
- Add the Greek yogurt, mayonnaise, fresh lemon juice, ground ginger, sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to a medium-sized bowl and whisk till smooth.
- To make the broccoli slaw a little easier to eat, with a chef’s knife, chop the shreds into smaller bite-sized pieces. I found a great pre-cut broccoli slaw mix with organic shredded broccoli stems and organic shredded carrots.
- Add the broccoli slaw mix to the bowl with the slaw dressing and stir together completely.
- Let the mixture rest for about 10 minutes so the broccoli can absorb the dressing.
- Divide the slaw into four servings and place on plates.
- Divide the shredded chicken into fourth servings and top each plate of slaw with some of the chicken.
- Then generously top with fresh ground black pepper.
- Serve with a slice of whole grain bread. I served mine plain to enjoy the wonderful quality of the cranberry with walnut variety I found.
- My secret is to shop the day-old bread rack at my local grocery store. I get great artisan loaves for a quarter of the regular price.