This rustic hearty cake is perfect for breakfast with a cup of coffee and milk or a relaxing cup of herbal tea. I consider it a healthy breakfast with ingredients like white whole wheat flour, plain Greek yogurt, unrefined coconut sugar, fresh apples and raw walnuts.
My ideal breakfast is a balance of protein, carbs and fruit and with the low amount of sugar in this cake it works for me. Just add a slice or two of turkey bacon or a bit of chicken sausage and you’re ready to begin the day.
One of my tips for Easy Real Food Recipes is I always keep a reserve of already cooked meat, such as turkey bacon and chicken sausage, and other miscellaneous foods in my freezer for quick meals. See my Freezer Pantry Breakfast Staples for Quick Real Food Meals post for details.
The aromatic cinnamon and the apple chunks make this cake a satisfying snack with a glass of milk or a healthier version of dessert when topped with a small amount of all natural vanilla ice cream, whipped cream or whipped coconut cream. By all natural vanilla ice cream, I mean ice cream with the real food ingredients cream, milk, sugar, egg yolks and pure vanilla only.
THE RUSTIC HEALTHY REAL FOOD INGREDIENTS
To begin, heat your oven to 350℉ and lightly butter or oil a 8-inch round cake pan. Then dice a large Gala apple, about 1 1/2 cups, or the apple of your choosing into bite size pieces leaving the peel on and chop the walnuts.
Next, in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt until thoroughly mixed. In a separate larger mixing bowl, add the yogurt and sugar and whisk together. Add the eggs one at a time and lightly whisk until just combined. Add the vanilla and gently whisk one more time.
Then, add the flour mixture to the liquid mixture and stir with a spatula until just combined. Be sure not to over mix your batter like I did. Notice the holes in the cake, this a sure sign of over-mixing. It still tastes wonderful, it’s just not quite as pretty. After that, add the diced apples and chopped walnuts and stir briefly.
Now, pour the batter into the prepared 8-inch cake pan and spread evenly. This is the USA Pan Bakeware Round 8-inch cake pan I use.
NOTE: Organic Coconut Sugar is much less processed than granulated sugar and retains a lot of its nutrients. Being organic, damaging pesticides are also eliminated.
NOTE: Unbleached White Whole Wheat Flour is milled from hard white spring wheat rather than the traditional red wheat of regular Whole Wheat Flour. With its lighter color, milder flavor and finer texture, it is a great substitute for all-purpose flour. It gives you all of the nutrition and fiber of whole grains, in a lighter, milder-tasting flour.
TIP: Be sure to spoon the flour into your measuring cup and level it off with a knife for better accuracy, rather than scooping the packed flour out of a bag. It is known as the “spoon and level” method. Scooping flour out of the bag can as much as double the amount of flour you actually get.
Finally, bake the cake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a cake tester or tooth pick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Once the cake has finished baking, remove it from the oven and cool it in the pan for about 10 minutes. Then move it to a cooling rack.
Serve the warm cake either plain or with a scoop of all-natural vanilla ice cream or with whipped cream or whipped coconut cream or with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and enjoy!
This wholesome all real food ingredient easy chunky cinnamon apple cake is just as good cold the next day too.
Gala apples are sweet and crisp and good for baking as well as eating. They’re low in calories and rich in dietary fiber and vitamin C. The Quercetin in the skin of an apple is said to protect your brain cells and the B vitamins are beneficial to your skin.
Easy Chunky Apple Cake with Cinnamon and Walnuts
Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 35 Minutes Yield: 8 Servings
- 1 1/2 Cups White Whole Wheat Flour (100% Whole Grain)
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon (I Used Ceylon Cinnamon)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 Cup Greek Yogurt, Plain (Milk, Cream and Live Cultures Only, No Additives)
- 1/2 Cup Organic Coconut Sugar (Pure and Unrefined or Light Brown Sugar)
- 2 Large Eggs, Room Temperature
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 Cups Diced Apple (About 1 Large Gala Apple)
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Walnuts, Raw
- Heat your oven to 350℉ and lightly butter or oil a 8-inch round cake pan.
- Dice a large Gala apple, about 1 ½ cups, into bite size pieces and then chop the walnuts.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt until thoroughly mixed.
- In a separate bowl, add the yogurt and sugar and whisk together.
- Add the eggs one at a time and lightly whisk until combined.
- Add the vanilla and gently whisk one more time.
- Next, add the flour mixture to the liquid mixture and stir with a spatula until just combined. Be careful not to over-mix.
- Add the diced apples and chopped walnuts and stir briefly.
- Pour the batter into the prepared 8-inch cake pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a cake tester or tooth pick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool cake in the pan for about 10 minutes.
- Then remove to a cooling rack.
- Serve either plain or with a scoop of all-natural vanilla ice cream or with whipped cream or whipped coconut cream or with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and enjoy!