I recently read about using melted ice-cream to make a cake and thought it would work perfectly for quick holiday weekend pancakes. I used an ice-cream containing cream, milk, egg yolks, cane sugar and strawberries only. No additives, just Real Food ingredients. I also used a whole wheat pastry flour buttermilk pancake mix, so these pancakes could not be easier.
Begin by letting the ice-cream melt. Next add a little pure vanilla extract, measure the pancake mix, combine everything and gently whisk together. Then cook the pancakes. The ice-cream I chose contains most of the liquid ingredients you would normally add separately to a pancake recipe and the pancake mix contains the dry ingredients.
THE VERY SIMPLE REAL FOOD INGREDIENTS
Instructions: Melt 1 cup of Real Food ingredient ice-cream, measure 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract and 3/4 cup whole grain pancake mix. Then stir together in a bowl until just combined. After that, slice 1/2 cup organic fresh strawberries and pour some good quality maple syrup into a cute container for serving. Makes about 4 pancakes.
Melt a small amount of butter or coconut oil in a non-stick pan and pour in 1/4 cup of the pancake batter. Cook on medium heat until the pancake is brown, turn and brown on the other side. Once the pancake has cooked, top it with the fresh sliced strawberries and pour over a small amount of maple syrup and enjoy!
They’re perfect for breakfast or brunch or a breakfast for dinner meal. Hubby says they taste like ice-cream and I think they make the perfect holiday weekend treat, and they’re so simple! This would be a fun recipe for the kids to help with or make on their own if they’re experienced enough.
From Bob’s Red Mill: “Whole Wheat Pastry Flour is 100% stone-ground, whole grain flour made from U.S. grown soft white wheat. The whole wheat berries are milled with the nutritious bran, germ and endosperm all intact. Many people ask how whole wheat pastry flour is different from whole wheat flour.
The answer is simple: whole wheat pastry flour is milled from soft white wheat, whereas regular whole wheat flour is milled from hard red wheat. It has a lower protein content than regular whole wheat flour and it makes wonderfully tender whole grain baked goods. Our Whole Wheat Pastry Flour is a good source of dietary fiber and provides 3 grams of protein per serving.”
Simple Melted Ice-Cream Pancakes with Strawberries
Prep Time: 15 Minutes Cook Time: 20 Minutes Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 Cup Strawberry Ice-Cream (Real Food Ingredient Only – Cream, Milk, Egg Yolks, Cane Sugar and Strawberries, Check for Unwanted Additives)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract (Not Imitation Vanilla)
- 3/4 Cup Whole Grain Pancake Mix (Try Bob’s Red Mill Whole Grain Buttermilk Pancake Mix)
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Organic Strawberries, Sliced
- 1/2 Cup Pure Organic Maple Syrup
Note: The ice-cream I chose contains most of the liquid ingredients you would normally add separately to a pancake recipe and the pancake mix contains the dry ingredients.
- To begin, let the ice-cream melt in a bowl. Once melted, add the pure vanilla extract to the bowl.
- Measure the pancake mix and add to the bowl. With everything in the bowl, gently whisk together.
- Melt a small amount of butter or coconut oil in a non-stick pan. Pour in 1/4 cup of the pancake batter.
- Cook on medium heat until the pancake is brown. Turn and brown on the other side.
- To serve, top the pancake with the fresh sliced strawberries. Pour over a small amount of maple syrup and enjoy!