Recently, I started noticing a little bit of this and a little bit of that collecting in my pantry and decided the perfect way to use the small portions of dried cranberries, pistachio nuts, peanuts, almonds and waffle cereal was to make my homemade no-salt added trail mix recipe. I’ve found that many of the pre-packaged trail mix choices are very salty.
I just added some sunflower seeds, raisins and shredded wheat biscuits to complete the quantities I needed for the recipe. Actually, all of these ingredients are in my “freezer pantry,” since nuts and seeds and cereal stay fresh longer in the freezer.
To get the something fun element I love in trail mix, I also added my favorite two ingredient only dark chocolate chips. With this healthy recipe you’ll have a quick breakfast or an afternoon snack readily available anytime. The protein, fat and carbs in trail mix can hold my energy level for hours.
THE BITS OF FREEZER PANTRY INGREDIENTS!
The dark chocolate chips I use have unsweetened chocolate and cane sugar only, most chocolate chips contain ingredients I don’t care for. You can get mine in our Vitacost.com Healthy Living Shop in the “Chocolate Favorites” section.
Making the trail mix is simple. Just add the dry roasted unsalted pistachios, roasted unsalted peanuts, raw almonds, raw sunflower seeds and the whole wheat waffle cereal and shredded wheat biscuits to a medium bowl.
Then, chop the dried cranberries and raisins into small pieces. Since dried fruit is sugary, smaller pieces allow us to use less and still have some in almost every bite.
Next, sprinkle a little cinnamon over the nuts, seeds and cereal. Then, add the chopped dried fruit, the dark chocolate chips and mix, making sure the cinnamon is evenly distributed. Spoon the mixture into a large glass jar and store it in the freezer.
Homemade trail mix is one of my favorite simple snacks. It’s quick and easy and with the lower sugar and salt, it’s healthier than most store-bought versions. I usually add 1-part seeds, 1-part nuts, 1-part grains, 1-part dried fruit and 1-part something fun and slightly sweet, such as dark chocolate, the combinations are endless. Serve about a quarter to a half a cup and Enjoy!
Almonds have more calcium than any other nut and are an excellent source of heart-healthy monounsaturated fats and are rich in protein and fiber. They also contain B vitamins and minerals, such as manganese and copper and have as much potassium as a banana. Almonds have no cholesterol and are best raw or dry-roasted.
For easy stress-free shopping, find some of my favorite non-perishable recipe ingredients, including Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Chip Morsels, in our Vitacost.com Healthy Living Shop or try our Vitacost.com Personal Care & Tea Shop.
Clean Out the Pantry Nuts, Seeds & Fruit Trail Mix
Prep Time: 15 Minutes Cook Time: No Cook Time Yield: 8 Servings
- 1/3 Cup Pistachios (Dry Roasted and Unsalted)
- 1/3 Cup Peanuts (Roasted and Unsalted)
- 1/3 Cup Whole Almonds (Raw or Dry Roasted)
- 1/3 Cup Shelled Sunflower Seeds (Raw and No Salt Added)
- 1/4 Cup Dried Cranberries, Diced (Look for the Least Amount of Added Sugar and Unwanted Ingredients You Can Get)
- 1/4 Cup Raisins, Diced (Be Sure The Raisins Are Sulfur Dioxide Free and Organic if Possible, Ingredients Should Be Raisins Only)
- 1/2 Cup Whole Wheat Waffle Cereal (I Use 365 Organic Wheat Waffles Cereal, Similar to Wheat Chex)
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Wheat, Biscuits (I Use 100% Whole Grain Cereal, Watch for Unwanted Additives and Sugar Levels)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon (Choose Good Quality Cinnamon with a Wonderful Fragrance)
- 1/3 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips (Mine Have Two Ingredients, Unsweetened Chocolate and Cane Sugar Only, Most Chocolate Chips Contain Ingredients I Don’t Care For)
- Add the pistachios, peanuts, raw almonds, raw sunflower seeds and the whole wheat waffle cereal and shredded wheat biscuits to a medium bowl.
- Chop the dried cranberries and raisins into small pieces. The dried fruit is sugary, so smaller pieces allow us to use less and still have some in every bite.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon over the nuts, seeds and cereal.
- Add the chopped dried fruit, the dark chocolate chips and mix, making sure the cinnamon is evenly distributed.
- Spoon the mixture into a large glass jar and store in the freezer to keep it fresh as long as possible.
- Serve about a quarter to a half a cup and Enjoy!