Since the day I was diagnosed with incurable cancer eleven months ago, I’ve been reading and listening to anything I could find about cancer to learn what I could do to help myself, in addition to what the medical community had to offer. One thing I knew for sure, I needed to get back to the healthy lifestyle I once lived before total chaos overtook our lives more than two years ago.
Hubby and I are slowly but surely implementing a bit of order to our lives and we’re finally moving forward. I’ve been laser focused on making the most of every day since learning of my unexpected remission status and ending chemotherapy treatments, and can’t wait to see what the future holds. I know a lot of people are struggling and suffering right now and I feel the best thing I can do is work on staying healthy and well if I’m going to be able to contribute anything meaningful.
The most significant thing I’ve seen during many months of research is one topic comes up over and over again in regards to cancer and it is the “immune system.” I’ve learned just how critical a strong immune system is to good health and that has been my goal, building my body’s immune system. I believe the best way I can prevent cancer from recurring is by “Embracing A Healthy Immune Boosting Lifestyle!”
Cancer prevention is the key! Preventing it in the first place as well as preventing its return.
The American Cancer Society says: In 2019, there were 606,880 cancer deaths in the United States. In 2020, there will be an estimated 1.8 million new cancer cases diagnosed and 606,520 cancer deaths in our country. Cancer is the second leading cause of death in the United States. Those numbers are shocking to me! I was completely unaware! Still, even surviving cancer can take a physical, mental, emotional and financial toll, so prevention is imperative.
I know someone who is from a small country in Southeastern Europe and she tells me cancer is not even a concern where she is from. She knows at least 200 people still living there and not one person has ever been diagnosed with cancer or knows anyone who’s been diagnosed with cancer. To me, it seems obvious it’s a difference in lifestyles.
Each Day I work on what I call “My Program” which includes Nutrition/Supplements, Walking/Exercise, Positivity/Stress Reduction, Quality Sleep and Spiritual elements. All of these categories support our immune system, but today I’m focusing on the Nutrition category. Our diets may have the potential to help prevent cancer, in addition to other health issues.
Immune Boosting Types of Foods:
- Leafy Greens – Spinach, Kale, Swiss Chard, Arugula, Romaine, Collard Greens
- Cruciferous Vegetables – Cabbage, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Brussel Sprouts
- Berries – Blueberries, Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackberries
- Orange and Yellow Fruits and Veggies – Citrus, Bananas, Papaya, Carrots, Squash, Sweet Potatoes, Pumpkins
- Red Fruits and Veggies – Red Bell Peppers, Tomatoes, Beets, Cherries, Watermelon, Red Apples, Pomegranate, Cranberries, Red Grapes, Plums
- Onions and Garlic – Immune Boosting and Detoxing Foods
- Fresh Herbs and Spices – Ginger, Turmeric, Thyme, Cayenne Pepper, Oregano, Basil, Parsley
- Organic Meats – Poultry is My Primary Meat Choice
- Wild-Caught Fish – Especially Small Fish, Including Salmon, Mackerel and Sardines are Anti-Inflammatory Omega-3 Foods.
- Organic Cultured Dairy Products – Fat Free Greek Yogurt is My Favorite
- Fermented and Probiotic Foods – Sauerkraut, Kefir, Tempeh, Miso, Kombucha
- Nuts and Seeds – Almonds, Walnuts, Cashews, Brazil Nuts, Sunflower Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds, Chia Seeds, Flax Seeds
- Beans – Pinto Beans, Kidney Beans, Navy Beans, Black Beans, Cannellini Beans, Garbanzo Beans, Lentils
- Mushrooms – Reishi, Shiitake, Maitake and Cordyceps in particular can improve immune function. Oyster, Crimini, Portobello, Turkey Tail and Enoki mushrooms have also been associated with strengthening the immune system.
- Healthy Unrefined Oils – Coconut, Flax, Cod Liver, Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Traditional Teas – Black, Oolong, Green, Chamomile
- Whole Grains – The majority of fiber and B vitamins are found in the outer layers of the grain, which is removed during refining.
- Water – A Filter that Can Remove Chlorine, Fluoride and Other Pollutants from Your Water is a Good Option.
Many of these foods contain antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that can boost the immune system, I use organic and natural products whenever possible. I am also currently working with a Naturopathic Physician to make sure the choices I make are safe and appropriate. She is wonderful, she answers all my questions and has helped me decipher the information I’ve gathered while creating my plan for a healthy immune boosting lifestyle.
Maintaining a good quality whole foods diet, getting enough sleep, getting regular physical activity and listening to God, as well as reading product labels, watching for toxic ingredients, and avoiding toxins in the environment are some of the most important ways to help keep your immune system healthy and reduce your chances of being diagnosed with a virus or a disease. I believe living a healthy lifestyle is the most important thing I can do for the best possible outcome for my life. Enjoy my Easy Real Food Recipes HERE!